MINISTERIAL MANDATES/ RESPONSIBILITIES/FUNCTIONS
- Initiate, formulate, execute, monitor and evaluate policies relating to Women
Affairs and Poverty Alleviation.
- Liaise with women voluntary organizations.
- Co-ordination of the activities of women non-governmental organizations.
- Liaison with international bodies on women programmes.
- Promotion of Women Co-operative Societies.
- Women education – vocational and functional training.
- Mobilization of women through public enlightenment programmes.
- Promotion of small-scale industries/commercial activities amongst women groups.
- Co-ordination of ministerial programmes for women.
- Data bank/information centres on women programmes.
- Technical assistance to women groups.
- Identification of needs and promotion of economic activities of women in rural
- Income generating programmes for Women.
- Promotion of arts and crafts produced by women entrepreneur for exports.
- Coordination/collation of poverty alleviation programmes – State & Federal.
- Supervision of Women Development Centres in Lagos State.
- Managing women development and encouraging solidarity among Women groups.
- Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women
- Celebration of International Women’s / Children’s Day.
- To promote survival, protection and development of Children in the State.
- Registration and monitoring of Day-care Centres.
- Celebration of Day of African child.
- Promotion of Child Right Convention (CRC).
- Child Care and Development Services.
- Administration and management of the following;
- a) Daycare Centres/Crèches
- b) Transit Home/ Shelter, Ayobo, Ipaja
- c) Ketu Special Children Centre (KSCC), Agboyi, Ketu.
26 Coordination/collation of poverty alleviation programmes – state & federal.
- Management of Women Development Centre.
- Management and maintenance of Skill acquisition centres in the State.
- Vocational Training and Skill Acquisition for all categories of Women and others in
need of special assistance.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Governor.
DEPARTMENTS, UNITS AND AGENCY
The Ministry comprises of the following Departments
Administration and Human Resources
Planning, Research and Statistics
Skill Acquisition Development Unit (SADU)
AGENCY UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF WAPA
Women Development Centre (WDC), Oba Ogunji Street, Agege.
Homes under the supervision of the Ministry
- Ketu Special Children Center (KSCC), Agboyi, Ketu, Lagos.
- Motherless Babies Home, Lekki, Lagos.
- Transit Home/Shelter, Ayobo, Ipaja, Lagos.
LIST OF SKILLS ACQUISITION CENTRES
- CONTACT/ADDRESS/LOCATION/PHONE NUMBER
BLOCK 18 & 18A, FIRST & SECOND FLOORS
THE SECRETARIAT, ALAUSA, IKEJA
WAPA HELP LINES
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE 08085753932, 08102678443 & 08085594141
CHILD ABUSE 08102678442 & 07098733732